Develop knowledge of location on a grid
Strategy to make effective moves, persistence
- A blank 10×10
- A standard 6 sided dice
- A counter with a star on it and a counter with a moon on it
For the star to catch the moon
Play in pairs – one player is the star and the other is the moon
- Each player places their counter on any square on the grid.
- The star goes first and rolls the dice. Choose one dice number to move left or right, and the other to move up or down. e.g. a roll of 3 and 2 could move 3 right, 2 down or 2 left, 3 up or 3 right 2 up etc
- The moon then rolls and moves their counter.
- The game ends when the sun lands on top of the moon. Keep track of how many moves the sun needs to make to catch the moon.
- Swap players and replay. Can the new sun catch the moon in less moves than in the first game?
If you roll a number that means you can’t move in any direction, you miss that turn.
Patience may be required!