A version of this numbers game is played on the popular television program, Countdown (called Letters & Numbers in Australia).
To make the target using some (or all) of the given numbers and the four basic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Large numbers (100, 75, 50 and 25) and small numbers (1 – 10), two of each.
- A player nominates the combination of 6 numbers they would like to select, e.g. 1 large and 5 small or 2 large and 4 small numbers, etc.
- All players must use these numbers
- A target number is generated between 101 and 999
- Players use some (or all) of the numbers and any of the four basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) to reach the target number (or get as close as possible)
- Each number in the list can only be used once
- Division can only be used if the result is a whole number (no fractions are allowed)
- The winner is the player closest to the target number
- A timer could be used to increase the challenge (in the television program players are given 30 seconds)
- Scores could be given depending on how close players are to the target number
- Players could attempt to find as many solutions as close to the target number as possible
There are several online versions of Countdown style games: