Level: Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6
Author: Cassandra Lowry
Helping children learn more about factors and multiples can help them better understand multiplication and division.
- Factors are the numbers we multiply together to get another number, for example, 3 x 4 = 12 so 3 and 4 are both factors of 12
- Multiples are what we get as a result of the multiplication, for example, 3 x 4 = 12, so 12 is a multiple of 3 and a multiple of 4
Playing games and activities that require children to identify factors and multiples will help children become more familiar with these terms. This understanding will support children’s ability to solve problems, including knowing how to add fractions with different denominators.
List of Resources:
- NRICH Factors and Multiples Game
- NCTM Calculation Nation Factor Dazzle
- Math Playground Factor Pair Up
- ABCYA Number Ninjas – Multiples
- 1-100 Counting chart
- 1 cm grid paper
This activity covers the following Australian Curriculum – Mathematics Content: