Level: Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12
Author: Michael O’Connor (AMSI Schools)
Linear equations are a way of expressing the connection between quantities algebraically like y = 2x + 3 or 5 = 7x – 2. All linear equations have variables (like x and y) where there are no powers. In-equations, like y < 2x + 3 and 5 > 7x – 2, swap the equals sign for greater and less than signs.
The unit includes an AMSI Interactive online module, a range of other AMSI Schools and external links and video tutorials and some extension or enrichment ideas to take their understanding further. A short quiz at the end of the AMSI Interactive will help students to test their understanding at the completion of the unit.
Links and Resources:
- Recap of Linear Equations
- DESMOS (online) Linear Inequalities on the Number Line
- AMSI SAM Module Linear Equations and In-equations
- Khan Academy Linear Equations and In-equations
- Exploring Linear Equations – Geogebra interactive
- Solving Linear Equations – Geogebra interactive
- Solving Linear In-equations I – Geogebra interactive
3 What are linear inequations Video
4 Solving Linear Inequations with 1 unknown Video
6 Solving Linear Inequations where x appears twice