Adding place values, ensuring values are lined up correctly and using partitioning to add to a target number.
Effective use of place value.
- Place value chart for each player
- Ten-sided dice
To be first to total the target number.
This game is to be played in pairs or small groups.
- Decide a target number which everyone aims to reach, e.g. 459.
- Player rolls the dice and decides which place value column they are going to place that number in (e.g. if a 2 is rolled and they decide to place it in the Hundreds column, it becomes 200).
- The player then decides whether to add or subtract that number on their chart.
- Players take it in turns to roll and add to their own place value chart.
- Play continues until one player reaches the target number. (Example in PDF download below.)
- Start at a given number and subtract to reach zero.
- Instead of only using addition and subtraction, use ‘BODMAS’ to reach the target number.
- Hint: Use MAB or calculators to assist calculations.