Skip count (forwards or backwards) following a given rule
Students accurately skip count (forwards or backwards) following the given rule, e.g. count forwards by 5 starting at 6
To skip count (forwards or backwards) following a given rule
- Students get into groups of 4 or 5 and stand in a circle
- Teacher (or students) select the starting number and the rule for the count, e.g. count forwards by 5
- First student says the starting number in the count and places their hand across their chest (e.g. place left hand across chest onto right shoulder)
- The position of their hand is used to indicate the direction of the count
- The student standing closest to the first student’s hand says the next number in the count
- As the second student says the next number, they again indicate, by placing their hand across their chest, the direction the count is to continue
- As the direction of the count can change on each turn, it is important that all students in the group pay attentio
To extend this game to different year levels consider counting using fractions or decimals or introducing more complicated rules.
More detailed instructions and background information about this game are available in the PDF.