The focus of this activity is to discover if students can use numbers to describe a pattern that it written as a description. From here we are interested in finding out if students can interpret the pattern, discover the rule and apply this rule to find missing or future terms.
- Use numbers and symbols to copy and continue a pattern
- Investigate number sequences
- Identify rules or functions for number patterns
- Use what is known about a pattern to predict missing or future terms
Curriculum Connections: NSW Syllabus Mathematics K-10
Stage 1.2 Patterns & Algebra 2
- Describe patterns with numbers and identify missing elements (ACMNA035)
- Solve problems by using number sentences for addition or subtraction (ACMNA036)
At the end of this lesson students should be able to answer the following questions
- Can you describe the pattern?
- What comes next in the pattern?
- How could we record this patterns in our books?
- Instead of using symbols, how else could we record the patterns in our books?
- Can we use a counting chart to help us identify the pattern?
- What is the rule or function for this pattern?
- How can we use what we know to find other numbers in the pattern?
For more information, please download the attached lesson plan.