The focus of this activity is to discover what students know about coins and money. Some students will be familiar with coins and will have no trouble adding the amounts – this is a Year 2 skill, but many Year 1 student will be able to cope with adding the coin, so five $1 coins is $5 or five 5c pieces is 25c. Other students will have a very limited understanding of coins so the focus will simply be on naming, describing features, ordering and recording with symbols.
- Identify the Australian coins
- Recognise and describe features of the Australian coins
- Order coins (according to amount)
- Recognise that coins can be combined to make new totals
- Use knowledge of counting to find totals of small amounts of coins
- Use pictures or symbols to represent different amounts of money, e.g. 50c, $1, $2.50
Curriculum Connections: Year 1 – Number and Algebra
- Recognise, describe and order Australian coins according to their value (VCMNA092)
- Develop confidence with number sequences to and from 100 by ones from any starting point. Skip count by twos, fives and tens starting from zero (VCMNA086)
- Represent and solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of strategies including counting on, partitioning and rearranging parts (VCMNA089)
Curriculum Connections: Year 2 – Number and Algebra
- Count and order small collections of Australian coins and notes according to their value (VCMNA111)
At the end of this lesson students should be able to answer the following questions
- What are the names of the Australian coins?
- What other features do you notice about the coins?
- Who is the person on the coins?
- What animals are on the coins?
- Why do some coins have different images?
- What is the difference between the gold and silver coins?
- Can you order the coins by amount?
- Can you make different totals with the coins?
- What strategy can you use to work out how much money you have?
- Can you use counting to help you find the total?
- Can you record amounts using pictures or symbols?
For more information, please download the attached lesson plan.