Age Range: F-2
Author: Cassandra Lowry
Picture story books can be a great source of mathematical content, but don’t think that you need to purchase special maths books in order to support your child. Most picture story books can be used as a starting point for discussions in maths.
- Count the characters, objects or the places visited
- Use location words to describe the position of objects or characters
- Create a map to show where the characters travelled
- Describe the sequence of events using ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.)
- Use the ideas in books for inspiration for your own investigations
More information about using picture story books, including a list of possible books, can be found in the document below.
Links and Resources: